Re: IRC live chat?

Starting with day 1 of the 1997 Natsu basho I will be doing the play by
play on IRC for the first few days to see how it goes.

There will be two read-only channels, do not type anything on these two
channels, only the play by play person is allowed to type anything.
Channel #sumo-live will have the play by play.
Channel #sumo-update will have updates after each match for those people
that enter late.

There will be one channel for people to chat with others and make
comments about the matches while the matches are going on. This channel
will be called #sumo-chat.

The hours will be 3:30am to 5:00am EST which is 4:30 to 6:00 pm Japan
time. Please make adjustments for your local time.

You can open many IRC channels at one time, I suggest you make two or
three overlapping windows across your screen and so you can view
everything at the same time. Keep the #sumo-chat window active so you
can chat with other people who are there. Use your first name as your
nickname and use your shikona as your hostname.

I plan on posting the play by play to the Sumo mail list and the first
few days of the conversation channel transcripts to give people a chance
to see what is going on. There is nothing hard about using IRC Chat, all
you need is the software. It's just like E-mail except it's faster. If
you can do E-mail you can do IRC Chat.

The SC Group is providing an IRC chat server for use of Sumo Mail List
members at this address: "www.scgroup.com" with port address at 6667. To
join go to commands menu, click on join and type "#sumo-chat",click on
join and type "#sumo-live", and click on join and type "#sumo-update".
Hours are 3:30am-5:00am EST during the Natsu Basho. There will be two
read-only channels, Channel #sumo-live, #sumo-update. Conversation will
be on Channel #sumo-chat.

The recommended software is mIRC for PC and Ircle for Macintosh. Here
are some links with IRC info and software: http://www.mirc.co.uk/,
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ircle/,
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~pirovich/irc.html,
http://www.il.ft.hse.nl/~bartp/irc/UpperNet.html