Re: Sumo Wrestling in Grip of Corruption : Article from Tod

David asked me to forward this to the ML.

----- Begin Included Message -----

  From DS@cassas2.artsci.hawaii.edu Wed May 22 14:55:46 1996
  From: "David Smith" <DS@cassas2.artsci.hawaii.edu>
  To: steveb@telco.com (Stephen Baker)
  Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 14:54:05 -0400
  Subject: Re: Sumo Wrestling in Grip of Corruption : Article from Tod

Back when Chiyo ruled the Sumo world there were also a number of
allegations about bout fixing. At one point Konishiki stated publicly
that he didn't believe that bouts were purposefully thrown, but that
the hierarchy on the dohyo was so completely dominated and controlled
by Chiyo that many wrestler's simply did not try to upset the system,
trying when they were supposed to win, not trying when they were not
supposed to win. This happened relatively close to two famous
(infamous) bouts in which young bucks (Terao and Kyokudozan) fought
tooth and nail to throw Chiyo. Terao paid for it by having Chiyo
throw him violently into the 3rd row - Chiyo later said that Terao
was becoming strong so he had to punish him. In the other bout
Kyokudozan fought the Yokozuna on the muwashi to a stale mate for
more than two minutes. Finally he managed to throw Chiyo, something
which almost never happened.  Anyway, I guess the point of my story,
besides simple reminiscing, is that these sorts of allegations are
not anything new.

Gambatte Kaio and Musoyama!

David

----- End Included Message -----