(Fwd) Re: last basho day 4: Taka's toe...

> I can half-remember -- read: don't remember the details -- one time
> when Akebono was having a zen-sho tournament so far, and I was sure
> that he lost a match. There was a mono-ii, and it was judged a
> yari-naoshi (do-over). He won the second time around.

I believe the bout you are refering to was between Tomonohana and
Akebono.
Akebono tried to push Tomo out but Tomo deflected it causing Ake to
topple over - the effect of which caused Tomo backwards and out.
I believe Ake touch outside / down first by a few fractions of a
second, and many thought that Tomo had also made sufficient effort to
avoid Ake's push to counter any "who was attacking" arguements.
Fuirthermore Ake was falling  "Shingitai" well before Tomo stepped
out.   However the Judges controversially ordered a rematch.

There was a review following this basho on the use of rematches as it
was pointed out in many of the papers that the lower ranked wrestler
has a much poorer chance in general the second time round as he
generally has to decieve the Yokozuna / ozeki to win.  Another
reason for the controversy was Tomonohana's popularity.

Peter

Dr. Peter J. Parbrook
Lecturer
University of Sheffield
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Mappin Street
Sheffield
S1 3JD
U.K.