From: owner-sumo@statgen.ncsu.edu [mailto:owner-sumo@statgen.ncsu.edu]On
Behalf Of Magnus Berg
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 12:23 AM
To: Sumo Mailing List
Subject: [Spoiler]Sansho

The sansho winners this time around:
* Shukunsho: Tochinonada, Tochiazuma
* Kantosho: Tamanoshima
* Ginosho: Kotomitsuki

Am I the only one missing the name Asashoryu from the list above? Surely, I
thought, for a 20-year old lightweight Mongolian to go 9-6 at maegashira 6
in his second basho in makunouchi, having faced several sanyaku, including a
yokozuna and having beating an ozeki (well that's what they call him) would
be enough to get a kantosho or ginosho? Apparently not. He was also very
close in January. Has anyone heard some motivation why he didn't get it?
Had I been in charge of awarding the sansho (and we might be all be lucky
that I'm not), I would have given the shukunsho to Tochiazuma and
Kotomitsuki and the ginosho to Asa. BTW, I hear they now call him "Mongoru
no ookami" (The Mongolian Wolf"). Classy nickname. I hope he's not just the
new Kyokushuzan...
Magunoyama