RE: [Spoiler] Ozeki question

I'm not sure I follow your analysis on Takanohana's promotion to Yokozuna.
Since I wasn't actively watching the sport in November of '94, perhaps you
can clear it up for me.

> From my research, the first two basho that Takanohana won (under the shikona
Takahanada) were as a Maegashira 2 and Komusubi. But even worse, after
winning that first one and being promoted to Sekiwake, he was immediately
demoted to M2 again. I haven't found the record he had for that tournament,
but it is obviously make-koshi.

Rikishi that follow a 14-1 yusho tournament with an under .500 performance
make the Kyokai nervous.

Now on his second yusho, he was promoted to Sekiwake. But then Akebono won
his third yusho and was not promoted. When Akebono won his second straight
yusho, the barrier came down and he was promoted to Yokozuna.

Now was this were the "2 straight yusho" precedent was established? I'm a
little fuzzy on when exactly that mark of success became a strong point to
the promotion of Yokozuna. Regardless, that precedent was established for
Takanohana and all other Yokozuna aspirants at this point.

So now we're up to March of 1993 and in 1993, Akebono was clearly The Man.
Takanohana won the May basho, Ake won the next three and then Taka went on a
win one, lose one run where he won in January, then lost in March, won in
May, then lost in July, and finally won in both the September and November
basho - zensho in both no less.

And then the Kyokai promoted him to Yokozuna.

So, from the information I've seen, I'm not seeing the wait on his promotion
as the Kyokai deciding that "sumo was doing fine why bother?". In fact, I
certainly get the feeling that they would have been very happy to have
Akebono's time as the sole Yokozuna as short as possible. However, they had
established a standard of winning consecutive yusho and Takanohana had yet
to live up to that standard. As soon as he did, he was happily promoted.

Don Sowell