Re: Non-Sumo -Omochi-

You find the strangest things on the news wires sometimes.
This stuff sounds truly dangerous!!!

- Dave

=============================

Man saved by vacuum cleaner after choking on sticky rice cake
4.40 a.m. ET (956 GMT) January 6, 2001

TOKYO (AP) -- A Japanese man choking on a sticky, glutinous rice
cake was saved when his daughter sucked the glob out with a vacuum
cleaner, an official said Saturday.

Local fire station official Toshiyuki Matsuura said the 70-year-old
man from northern Japan suddenly began gasping for air Tuesday as
he chewed on a piece of "mochi,'' a food traditionally eaten by
the Japanese around New Year's.

Family members first tried unsuccessfully to remove the food with
their fingers. Then his daughter, 46, grabbed a vacuum cleaner,
took out the man's dentures, and stuck the hose into his mouth
with the switch turned to "high.''

The gooey, white mass slowly emerged, and the man, whose name was
not disclosed, had almost fully recovered by the time paramedics
arrived, Matsuura said.

"A vacuum cleaner could be useful in an emergency like that, but
I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because it's tricky,''
Matsuura said. "He was rather lucky.''

Mochi is one of the most widely recognized symbols of the New Year
in Japan, when many homes and shrines are decorated with ritual
offerings of hardened blocks of rice.

The blocks can become chewy and sticky when cooked. Every year,
a handful of mostly elderly Japanese die after choking on mochi
rice cakes, which are usually served grilled and wrapped in
seaweed or in a broth.